Monday, November 11, 2013

November 11, 2013

Hey everybody!

Pretty quiet week here in Langen as well, so we're in the same boat there. But it was still good and had some good stuff happen. Just keeping it going haha. 

We had a pretty solid dinner appointment last night. We went over to a couple in the ward who are way cool. He is American, retired from the Air Force, and she is from here, maybe Austria... I don't know, she speaks German though. But they made us the biggest steaks I have ever seen in my life. I ate a LOT of steak and I still had like a fourth of it left. So we'll be eating those for lunch when we get back to the apartment. But she made some delicious potatoes and salad too so it was pretty solid. And he had gotten A&W Root Beer, either from a base here or from America, but anyways, we had it and it was wonderful. And he gave us a couple to take home so those are also waiting for me. They are way cool though, so yesterday was a good day.

Stonebriar... it's going to be crazy going there and NorthPark again because Germany does not have that kind of mall. They have little malls every now and then, but nothing like those places. Most shopping here is done on the Fuß, which is kind of like a big outdoor pedestrian plaza, kind of like the Southlake Town Centre.

Germany doesn't do anything really around Thanksgiving that I know of. Except our Elder's Quorum is having a Turkey dinner on the 29th for a Voradventfeier... Advent is the beginning of December as far as I know. I'll get my holiday knowledge straightened out here sooner or later. But as you read in that article you sent me... Germany takes Weihnachten seriously. I'm pretty excited. 

I haven't seen anything too historical or crazy since I've gotten here, but one little sobering but kinda cool thing they do here (Germany that is) as a memorial for the Holocaust, is in front of houses where Jewish people lived during the war, they have little tiles on the sidewalk for every person that say if they escaped or were killed and when they were taken from their homes and stuff. So that's a pretty eye-opening thing to see when we come across them. 

Too bad about the BYU game... I'm pretty sure I've given up expecting the football team to come through so I'm not as devastated as I would be before. My mind has shifted to basketball now haha. March Madness is coming up again! In like 4 months but whatever!

The work is going well. Pretty slow, and kinda frustrating at times, but it goes forward anyways. The branch is really cool and I love the members.  We'll keep going haha. I'm having fun, and time is flying. I can't believe it's already the middle of November. 

The language is going good, by the way.

But... anyways, that's about it from my side. Hope everyone has a great week, and know that I love you all!

Tschüß!


Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment